30+ TOP SQL Server Questions and Answers
1. What does the abbreviation DBMS stand for?
A. Digital Base Mapping System.
B. Data Borrowing and Movement Software.
C. Database Management System.
D. Database Manipulation Software.
2. The advantages of Standard Query Language (SQL) include which of the following in relation to GIS databases?
A. It is good at handling geographical concepts.
B. It is widely used.
C. It is simple and easy to understand.
D. It uses a pseudo-English style of questioning.
3. Which of the following are characteristics of an RDBMS?
A. Keys may be unique or have multiple occurrences in the database.
B. It cannot use SQL.
C. Queries are possible on individual or groups of tables.
D. Tables are linked by common data known as keys.
E. Data are organized in a series of two-dimensional tables each of which contains records for one entity.
4. What is a ‘tuple’?
A. A row or record in a database table.
B. Another name for the key linking different tables in a database.
C. An attribute attached to a record.
D. Another name for a table in an RDBMS.
5. Which of the following are issues to be considered by users of large corporate GIS databases?
A. The need for multiple copies of the same data and subsequent merging after separate updates.
B. The need to manage long transactions.
C. The need for manual transfer of records to paper.
D. The need for multiple views or different windows into the same databases.
E. The need for concurrent access and multi-user update.
6. Which of the following are features of the object-oriented approach to databases?
A. The need to split objects into their component parts.
B. The ability to represent the world in a non-geometric way.
C. The ability to develop more realistic models of the real world.
D. The ability to develop databases using natural language approaches.
E. The ability to develop database models based on location rather than state and behaviour.
7. Redundancy is minimised with a computer based database approach.
8. The relational database model is based on concepts proposed in the 1960s and 1970s.
9. A row in a database can also be called a domain.
10. A first step in database creation should be needs analysis.
11. In entity attribute modelling a many to many relationship is represented by M:M.
12.In a networked web based GIS all communications must go through an internet map server.
13.In an OO database approach ‘object = attributes + behaviour’.
14. In an OO database objects may inherit some or all of the characteristics of other objects.
15. You can add a row using SQL in a database with which of the following?
16. The command to remove rows from a table ‘CUSTOMER’ is:
A. REMOVE FROM CUSTOMER …
B. DROP FROM CUSTOMER …
C. DELETE FROM CUSTOMER WHERE …
D. UPDATE FROM CUSTOMER …
17. The SQL WHERE clause:
A. limits the column data that are returned.
B. limits the row data are returned.
C. Both A and B are correct.
D. Neither A nor B are correct.
18. Which of the following is the original purpose of SQL?
A. To specify the syntax and semantics of SQL data definition language
B. To specify the syntax and semantics of SQL manipulation language
C. To define the data structures
D. All of the above.
19. The wildcard in a WHERE clause is useful when?
A. An exact match is necessary in a SELECT statement.
B. An exact match is not possible in a SELECT statement.
C. An exact match is necessary in a CREATE statement.
D. An exact match is not possible in a CREATE statement.
20. A view is which of the following?
A. A virtual table that can be accessed via SQL commands
B. A virtual table that cannot be accessed via SQL commands
C. A base table that can be accessed via SQL commands
D. A base table that cannot be accessed via SQL commands
21. The command to eliminate a table from a database is:
A. REMOVE TABLE CUSTOMER;
B. DROP TABLE CUSTOMER;
C. DELETE TABLE CUSTOMER;
D. UPDATE TABLE CUSTOMER;
22. SQL data definition commands make up a(n) ________ .
23. Which of the following is valid SQL for an Index?
A. CREATE INDEX ID;
B. CHANGE INDEX ID;
C. ADD INDEX ID;
D. REMOVE INDEX ID;
24. The SQL keyword(s) ________ is used with wildcards.
A. LIKE only
B. IN only
C. NOT IN only
D. IN and NOT IN
25. Which of the following is the correct order of keywords for SQL SELECT statements?
A. SELECT, FROM, WHERE
B. FROM, WHERE, SELECT
C. WHERE, FROM,SELECT
26. The result of a SQL SELECT statement is a(n) ________ .
27. The HAVING clause does which of the following?
A. Acts like a WHERE clause but is used for groups rather than rows.
B. Acts like a WHERE clause but is used for rows rather than columns.
C. Acts like a WHERE clause but is used for columns rather than groups.
D. Acts EXACTLY like a WHERE clause.
28. To remove duplicate rows from the results of an SQL SELECT statement, the ________ qualifier specified must be included.
29. The benefits of a standard relational language include which of the following?
A. Reduced training costs
B. Increased dependence on a single vendor
C. Applications are not needed.
D. All of the above.
30. Which of the following do you need to consider when you make a table in SQL?
A. Data types
B. Primary keys
C. Default values
D. All of the above.